Nurturing a strong, healthy spine and pelvis throughout your pregnancy will allow your baby to grow efficiently while minimising discomfort to you as your body undergoes drastic alteration. Existing postural issues may intensify, along with back and pelvic pain caused by the weight of your growing baby, changes to posture as you walk or stand and the softening of ligaments as your hips widen to make space for the baby to be born.
As your baby grows, the uterus expands and the pelvis shifts to help keep your centre of gravity stable. Your pubic bone and tailbone move backward, increasing the arch in your lower back. Your ribcage also stretches to provide additional space for your lungs, leading to pain in the ribs.
To compensate for these postural alterations, specific muscle groups must work harder to support your body in the upright position and have the strength to accommodate your baby’s growth. Over time, these muscles shorten and become very tight.
All these stresses can lead to discomfort and difficulty with performing routine daily activities. Chiropractic care in pregnancy is a safe and gentle way to promote comfort and minimise back pain as well as support the natural birthing process. Chiropractic adjustments and soft tissue therapy are highly specific and help restore balance to the spine and pelvic region.
Chiropractors work with the body’s natural ability to adapt and function in the way it’s designed to. In pregnancy, Chiropractic care is vital to the normal physiological function of both you and your baby in pregnancy and birth.
Benefits for You
- Prepares the pelvis for easier pregnancy and birth by creating balance in pelvic bony structures, muscles and ligaments
- Removes torsion of ligaments that support the uterus thus potentially reducing aberrant tension to the uterus
- Reduces interference to your nervous system, which controls and coordinates all your systems and functions
- Decreases the potential for unnecessary medical intervention
- Promotes proper posture while you sit, sleep, drive or breastfeed
- Helps relieve pain in the pelvic girdle, hips, back, ribs and neck
- Helps smooth functioning of the sacroiliac joints
- Prevents or eliminates sciatica
- Improves proper pre–birthing position
Benefits for Your Baby
- Reduces interference to your nervous system allowing for better development of your baby
- Pelvic balance allows your baby greater room to develop
- Supports development of your baby’s cranium, spine and other skeletal structures
- Offers your baby room to move into the best possible position for birth
- With proper foetal positioning, there is a significant likelihood of an easier labour and birth
- Reduces trauma caused by medical intervention that may be necessary during a difficult labour